So firstly an apology, it has been faaaar to long since my last post, hopefully I can start turning these out a bit more frequently in the coming weeks.
So, I have managed to get a few games of Dystopian Wars 2.0 under my belt now and I have to say I am loving the changes, there are many reviews out there for the new edition so I’m not going to go into a full breakdown here but I am going to mention a select few high and low lights.
- Accelerated speed of play – the changes they have made to things like linking and (mostly) removing the split fire mechanic have made a surprising amount of difference to the speed that the game runs.
- Set-up Rules – in version 1.0 and 1.1 the set-up rules were very basic and were pretty open to activation sync spam, now with the addition of the advanced, flank and reserve deployment “zones” along side the rule for deploying things in size order (biggest stuff first) has made deployment choices have a real strategic impact on the game.
- Allies Rules – the inclusion of some actual rules for building an allied fleet is a god send for those of us who have a slight resin addiction! It also explodes the amount of choices you have in respect to building a fleet and as we all know more choice is never a bad thing
- Rule Book Organisation – ok, so the last version of the rulebook was not laid out very well and was a bit of a slog for someone new to the hobby to get to grips with the game. On first glance the new book is much better and is laid out in a very logical fasion…..at first glance. As time has gone on we have been increasingly frustrated when trying to find clarifications for various rules and situational issues, the index seems to have gone overboard with referencing every time a particular subject is mentioned in the book resulting in occasional nightmares when trying to track things down. As time has gone on I am finding my Rulebook-Fu is getting stronger but this is still a frustrating element that only serves to negate the time savings they have introduced in the mechanics as soon as you need to clarify something.
- Stat Changes – The Commodore Edition of the rulebook was released with a bunch of stats for models in the 7 core nations. Whilst this was great at the time and allowed us to dive straight in Spartan have since released 3 revisions to the stats making a third of the rulebook obsolete.
I was due to play in my first DW tournament a few weeks ago but unfortunately I had to pull out at the last minute due to family issues….still the deadline of the tournament did at least make me pull my finger out and get a chunk of my newer EoBS models painted and whilst I have got a significant amount left to paint for that nation I’m now looking to make a start on some of the Prussian models I picked up recently as I’m itching to get a game in with those and to run them alongside my EoBS and the chance to get a different paint scheme on some models will be a really nice change of pace.
That’s it for now, I’d love to hear any of your thoughts on the new edition in the comments.